The linking process between tax agents and clients has previously been carried out through the ATO via written authorisation. However, in the wake of data breaches at Optus and Medibank, a new process will strengthen cyber security. ‘Client-to-agent linking’ is a new process that further strengthens the security of ATO online services to help protect against fraud and identity-related theft.
From 13 November 2023, the client-to-agent linking process will apply to all types of entities with an ABN excluding sole traders. We have included a summary below of the key information for new clients, and existing clients. If you require more information please visit the ATO website here.
For existing clients
Existing client links are not affected. You do not need to do anything if you do not change your current arrangements with us.
If you change your existing arrangements with us (for example if we start representing a new entity), the linking process must be completed as per below
For new clients / clients planning to change arrangements
New clients will need to complete the agent nomination process, selecting DFK Gooding Partners through the new agent nomination feature in Online services for business. We cannot do this for you. The process is as follows:
1. Log in to Online services for business
Use your myGovID to log in to Online services for business ato.gov.au/OSB 5
2. Nominate your authorised agent in Online services for business
From the Online services for business home page:
- select Profile, then Agent details
- at the Agent nominations feature, select Add
- on the Nominate agent screen, go to Search for agent
- type your agent’s (or payroll service provider’s) registered agent number (RAN) or practice name and select Search
- select the agent you want to nominate (if multiple results are returned, select the correct agent)
- check that the agent’s details are correct
- complete the Declaration
- select Submit.
- You’ll now see your agent’s details listed under Agent nominations.
3. Let us know you have nominated us
We have seven days from nomination to action the linking. We do not receive a notification from the ATO, so please ensure you are prompt in notifying us of the change.
How do I know if this applies to me?
The new linking nomination process will apply to all types of entities with an ABN, excluding sole traders. This includes entity types such as :
- companies including strata title bodies
- joint ventures
- self-managed super funds (SMSFs)
- APRA-regulated superannuation funds.
I need more detail on the linking steps
The ATO has provided a comprehensive resource covering all you need to know, including a detailed step by step process. You can access the ATO information here.
If you have further questions please contact us. Please note we cannot complete this linking process on your behalf, so the advice we can provide will be limited and we recommend the ATO as your first point of contact.